This delicious bisque works as a main dish or a great side-dish. It's vegetarian, packed with vegetables and the ginger adds just a hit of flavor. Optionally, you can forego the rice or coconut and use cilantro and peanuts.
We adapted this recipe by Taste of Home
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup Two Bears oat milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 200 c / 400 f. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a greased shallow roasting pan, cut side down. Roast 40-45 minutes or until squash is tender. Let cool.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion, stir and cook until tender. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Scoop pulp from squash; discard skins. Add squash, oat milk, salt and pepper to carrot mixture; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Return to pan; heat through. Top servings with rice, coconut, peanuts and cilantro.
Want less bisque and more soup for your squash? Try this recipe also from Taste of Home
Creamless Creamy Squash Soup with oat milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Two Bears Oat milk
- 2 teaspoons dried savory or herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir until onion is tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, sweet potato and summer squash. Cook and stir until squash and potato are lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, Two Bears oat milk, savory and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and, in batches, puree in a blender and return to pan; heat through. Serve and enjoy!