Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
This super quick and easy vegan oat-milk bechamel is an essential addition to your vegan cookbook. Bechamel is a basic white sauce that is versatile and straight-forward, and Two Bears oat-milk works like a dream in this dairy-free bechamel option.
It makes for a great substitute for any white sauce, particularly macaroni and cheese. For a dairy-free buttery spread, try cashew or coconut butter.
- 2 tbsp dairy-free buttery spread
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Two Bears oat milk
- Salt to taste
- Black or white pepper, to taste
- Melt the buttery spread in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually add the Two Bears oat milk, while whisking, until smooth.
- Whisk and cook until thickened to your desired consistency. If it thickens too much, whisk in a little more oat milk.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and whisk until smooth before using.
Other meal ideas you can use this oat milk bechamel sauce in include : vegetable bakes, macaroni and cheese and Mornay sauce. For Mornay sauce simply add some strong cheddar. This recipe is dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian, but its certainly not taste-free.
You can use this vegan oat-meal based Bechamel over pasta, fish, vegen-patties or any vegetable casserole. Oat milk is soy-free, high in nutrients like vitamin B12 and can be gluten-free to boot. I feel like this Bechamel is lighter than traditional milk & egg white sauces, which never feel like a good decision after my meal.
If you're not vegan, this Bechamel and oat milk recipe goes great over eggs. Spruce them up with Bechamel and turn over easy eggs to eggs Florentine, with a side of sautéed spinach and baby potatoes, you'll be all set for one of those brunch-only Sunday's.
We adapted this recipe from a recipe by Alisa Fleming