Prep Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Made with Two Bears oat, this delicious vegan chowder has the texture and taste we are sure you'll love. Serve with a side of salad, crudité or in a bread bowl as pictured. If you're feeling adventurous, add a teaspoon or two of curry powder.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 seeded jalapeno pepper
- 4 cups diced gold potatoes
- 4-5 cups sweet corn
- 2 cups Two bears oat
- 2 1/2 cups vegetarian broth
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To garnish, if desired: Greek yogurt, goat or vegan cheese, cilantro and scallions
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, potatoes, and corn and saute for 8 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the Two Bears oat and vegetarian broth.
- Next stir in salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered or until the potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Stir to incorporate and then taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro, a swirl of sour cream (if not vegan) and scallions. Serve with bread or crackers. Enjoy!
We adapted this recipe from Monique Volz over at Ambitious Kitchen.
Do you like more of a kick in your chowder? Check out this variant recipe with paprika, beans, more jalapeno, onions and cumin. If you like your chowder spicy and maybe a tad more chunky, try this variant recipe from Stephanie Mckercher over at Grateful grazer.
Vegan spicy Oat Corn chowder
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or oil of choice as needed
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ¾ cups corn kernels
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Poblano pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 4 cups Two Bears Oat
Optional for serving
- Black beans (cooked)
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced jalapeño peppers
- Minced red onion
- Diced tomato or salsa
- Chopped green onions
- Lime wedges
- Pour in enough oil to fully coat the bottom of a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in red onion and cook 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in garlic, corn, cumin, smoked paprika, chilli powder, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the corn is tender. Stir in red bell pepper, Poblano pepper (if using), and jalapeño pepper (if using), and cook for 3 additional minutes, or until the peppers are softened.
- Stir in Two Bears Oat, increase the heat high, and cook until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully ladle or pour two-thirds of the soup into a blender container. (Divide into batches if needed to prevent overflowing. Don’t fill the container more than halfway when blending hot foods.) Cover and blend on high for 1 minute, or until the soup is creamy and the desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot and stir until it is mixed evenly with the unblended portion.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with black beans, avocado, jalapeño peppers, red onion, tomato or salsa, cilantro, green onions, and lime wedges if desired.