Delicious vegan Two Bears oat milk-based chowder recipe has all the chunk and none of the cruelty. We love the texture and taste and we're sure you'll love it too. Serve with a side of salad, crudité or in a bread bowl as pictured. If you're feeling adventurous, add a teaspoon or two of curry powder for an oomph of curry and coconut goodness.
We adapted this recipe from Monique Volz over at Ambitious Kitchen
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 seeded jalapeno pepper
- 4 cups diced gold potatoes
- 4-5 cups cups sweet corn
- 2 cups Two bears oat milk
- 2 1/2 cups vegetarian broth
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To garnish, if desired: greek yogurt, goat or vegan cheese, cilantro and scallions
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, potatoes, corn and saute for 8 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the two bears oat milk and vegetarian broth.
- Next stir in salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered or until the potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Stir to incorporate and then taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro, a swirl of sour cream (if not vegan) and scallions. Serve with bread or crackers. Enjoy!
Do you like more of a kick in your chowder? Check out this variant recipe with paprika, beans, more jalapeno, onions and cumin. If you like your chowder spicy and maybe a tad more chunky, try this variant recipe from Stephanie Mckercher over at Grateful grazer
Vegan spicy Oat milk Corn chowder
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or oil of choice as needed
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ¾ cups corn kernels
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Poblano pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 4 cups Two bears Oat milk
Optional for serving
- Black beans (cooked)
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced jalapeño peppers
- Minced red onion
- Diced tomato or salsa
- Chopped green onions
- Lime wedges
- Pour in enough oil to fully coat the bottom of a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in red onion and cook 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in garlic, corn, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, and salt. Cook 5 minutes, or until the corn is tender.Stir in red bell pepper, Poblano pepper (if using), and jalapeño pepper (if using), and cook 3 additional minutes, or until the peppers are softened.
- Stir in Two bears Oat milk, increase the heat to high, and cook until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully ladle or pour two-thirds of the soup into blender container. (Divide into batches if needed to prevent overflowing. Don’t fill the container more than halfway when blending hot foods.) Cover and blend on high 1 minute, or until the soup is creamy and desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot and stir until it is mixed evenly with the unblended portion.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with black beans, avocado, jalapeño peppers, red onion, tomato or salsa, cilantro, green onions, and lime wedges if desired.