Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
This vegan broccoli pasta recipe is perfectly creamy while being cream-free thanks to Two Bears oat and cashew butter. It makes for a better-tasting and lighter broccoli pasta we're sure you'll love! You can add cherry or sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and your favourite herbs.
This recipe was adapted from Planet Oat.
- 1 cup Two Bears Oat
- 1/2 cup creamy unsalted cashew butter
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups of pasta, we prefer large shell pasta
- 1 large head of broccoli, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Lemon cut into wedges for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. We'll be using this for the pasta and broccoli.
- Heat Two bears Oat in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly whisk in cashew butter, nutritional yeast and spices (garlic powder, salt and black pepper). Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta to the pot of boiling water until it is al dente. About two minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add broccoli to the water. Drain pasta and broccoli. Return pasta and broccoli to a large pot.
- Whisk sauce well and pour over pasta and broccoli and stir.
- Garnish pasta with freshly ground black pepper and lemon wedges, serve and enjoy!
Fresh out of oat? We've got you covered.
Prefer mac and cheese? We've found a great vegan Mac and cheese made with oat by Monica Davis over at The hidden veggies
Vegan creamy oat mac and cheese
- 8 oz macaroni pasta or any other small-sized pasta (Use gluten-free if desired).
- 2 cups Two bears oat
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
For baked vegan mac and cheese:
Vegan mac and cheese on the stove-top
Boil pasta of choice according to package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside. (Cook it al dente if you are going to make baked mac and cheese).
Add all the cheese sauce ingredients to a saucepan. (2 cups Two bears oat, 1/3 cup nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp tapioca starch, 1 tbsp corn starch, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp turmeric).
Stir with a whisk while cold.
Turn on heat to medium-low stirring frequently until it boils. Then stir constantly for about 30 seconds.
Mix the drained pasta in with the vegan cheese sauce.
Stir well and serve hot.
Baked vegan mac and cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Follow the steps above then add an additional 1/4 cup of water to the stovetop mac and cheese. (to account for evaporation in the oven).
- Pour the mac and cheese into a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Melt 3 tbsp of vegan butter in a small bowl. Add the breadcrumbs and garlic salt to the melted butter and stir well.
- Top with panko breadcrumb mixture or simply top with shredded vegan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 20 minutes until it starts to bubble and the breadcrumbs have turned slightly golden.